Separatorenerzeugung GmbH produces PVC separators that are used for example in car batteries, lead-acid and nickel-cadmium storage batteries. Its output totals over 100 million units a year on three production lines. Separators are used in batteries to prevent physical contact between the positive and negative electrodes. They do however allow ions to flow during the charge and discharge cycles. Separators are relatively thin, porous and made of PVC.
PVC separators (films) previously underwent visual quality control for holes and flaws. This process is now to be replaced by automatic inspection with an imaging system that can identify holes and cracks from a diameter of only 100 µm. The system can detect different film sizes automatically and check them for holes and cracks. Defective parts are rejected immediately through a flap controlled by the imaging system. The number of defective parts is displayed and recorded in a file.
- Selection and configuration of the hardware (special sensor, lighting)
- Interface definition between the control system and camera
- Software development
- Design of the mechanics, testing, assembly
- Control system for the rejection flap
- Integration and commissioning of the system in the production process